"I've escaped it, a life wasted/And I'm never going back again." - Pearl Jam, "Life Wasted"

Friday, January 12, 2007

1,000 Oceans

While the rest of the world go ga-ga over the iPhone (click on the links to my friends' blogs), I'm still plugged to my oversized, battered Creative Zen original.

Plowing through some alternative music. Then one song stopped me in the tracks, as it has done always.

Tori Amos released this song when I was in university. A young man still with enough naivete to believe in falling gloriously in love with someone.

That song drove me to tears the first time I heard it. The second, the third, the fourth.....

And, when I revisited it about two hours ago, I'm still affected by its purity. The young man's tears, however, have dried.

Such a simple declaration. Like when the accountant told Schindler that his list is "absolute good", so is this song.



These tears I cried
I've cried a thousand oceans
And if it seems I'm floating in the darkness
Well, I can't believe
That I would keep, keep you from flying
And I would cry a thousand more
If that's what it takes to sail you home
Sail you home, sail you home

I'm aware what the rules are
But you know that I would run
You know that I will follow you
Over Silbury Hills
Through the solar fields
You know that I will follow you

And if I find you
Will you still remember
Playing at the trains
Or does this little blue ball just fade away

Over Silbury Hills
Through the solar fields
You know that I will follow you
I'm aware what the rules are
But you know that I would run
You know that I will follow you

These tears I cried
I've cried a thousand oceans
And if it seems I'm floating in the darkness
Well, I can't believe
That I would keep, keep you from flying
So I would cry a thousand more
If that's what it takes to sail you home
Sail you home, sail you home

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home